Friday, July 31, 2009

Enlarged size of C partition with Gpart, Vista booted normally once, now boots into black screen with cursor?

So I increased the size of the C partition with the newest version of Gparted, the first time I tried to boot, Vista wouldnt boot so I booted from Vista CD and ran the repair, after that it restarted fine, was able to go into my username and open my files, etc. Restarted the computer, now I just have a black screen with my cursor on it (I can move the cursor around), the keyboard seems to work because when I press CAPS the caps light goes on on the keyboard. It boots in safe mode, tried to run repair again, the repair doesnt find any problems. What do I do now?





Thanks

Enlarged size of C partition with Gpart, Vista booted normally once, now boots into black screen with cursor?
In order to fairly earn 10 points, I'll "kiss your butt" for the edification of others, and your amusement.





Olegious. There is a man (replace gender-specific nouns, pronouns, etc, as necessary) who has taken the initiative to strike out on his own, search for knowledge, and has struck gold!





Read his tale carefully; learn of his ways, his techniques. You, too, can master many skills, including telling the computer who's boss (you are, silly!), but you can't do that if you don't know jack.





So, huzzah! Good sleuthing.





Here's (honest-to-goodness) what I would have written as my real answer:





In general, most operating systems have a "rescue disk" or allow you to creat one. Modern OSes usually have bootable CD for this purpose. Try to boot from your OS install disc, and look for (again, in general) some sort of "rescue" or "repair" option. If you have a secondary computer in the vicinity, use it to do research as you work. When resizing partitions, it should be safe, but it's possible that certain "magic" files will be moved from their "special" places, causing existing operating systems to feel as if the carpet has been yanked out from under them. They usually respond by getting all nervous and running a disk check/repair program automatically, but sometimes you'll have to do additional stuff manually. If this repair fails, or isn't done, the OS might crash or stall part-way through startup.
Reply:Cheers! :-) Report It




acne scar

No comments:

Post a Comment